[U-Boot-Users] auto-save environment if using default environment?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 25 21:16:13 CET 2008

Hello,

in message <47E90DE8.15445.1113A3A at w.wegner.astro-kom.de> you wrote:

> I just had the problem of fw_{print,save}env not being able to access
> the environment because I was using the default (builtin) environment
> after flashing U-Boot.
> I wonder if I am the only one having this problem, or is it common
> practice to flash the environment together with U-Boot during production?

Quite a number of boards  use  an  embedded  environment  which  gets
auto-installed  when  programming the U-Boot image. And a significant
percentage of boards I know use some installation tool that will  set
up  things like serial number, MAC addresses etc. one way or another,
andin many cases this includes running "saveenv".

> I just made this small patch to auto-save the environment if it is
> not found in flash but am wondering if
> - I missed something and such a possibility does already exist?

No, and I strongly discourage it. It just makes detection of certain
types of problems / hardware errors etc. more difficult or even
impossible.

> - something similar might be worth considering as a new regular feature?

I think I would oppose such a change because I consider it really
dangerous.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Genitiv ins Wasser, weil's Dativ ist!