[U-Boot-Users] [Patch 2/4] U-Boot-V2: ARM: introduceCONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATION

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Wed May 7 21:41:41 CEST 2008

>> CONFIG_RELOCATABLE on powerpc means something different. On arm we start
>> U-Boot by running it at an address != link address and _copy_ (not
>> relocate) ourselves to the address we are linked at. On powerpc real
>> relocation is done if CONFIG_RELOCATABLE is enabled.
>> Hence the option you wanted to add should better have the name
>> CONFIG_SKIP_COPY_TO_SDRAM or something like that.
>
> This is something that I always wanted to fix. The ARM implementation
> is broken by design - unfortunately it has been also used  for  MIPS,
> and  other  architectures.  It  would  be  much better if we had real
> relocation to a (dynamically determined) address on ARM too,  instead
> of such a fixed mapping.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

As more and more architectures support booting from just about
anything than a parallel flash, maybe it is better to have a
CONFIG_COPY_TO_SDRAM than its negative form.

Whats the big benefit of beeing able to select where U-boot runs?
I could understand if there was a need for a compile time parameter.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson