[U-Boot-Users] help in understand the address of standalone applications, ARM MCU

Alessandro Rubini rubini-list at gnudd.com
Sun May 11 22:22:39 CEST 2008

> Hmm... So I must know detailed memory map, and that depends on U-Boot usage,
> right? - the board manual just tells the principle and the end addresses of
> the SDRAM... - maybe the information I am looking for is in the sources of
> U-Boot...

Most likely u-boot is running at 0x23f0.0000. Usually the initial
bytes are used for special purposes (I don't remember the details but
irq vectors might be located there), so anything in-between should
work. Try 0x2010.0000 (1M within the RAM area) or whatever.
In short: yes, it depends on the detailed memory map.

A good choice, if you don't want to know the details, is the address
where you load the kernel image (it's on the manual, or default boot
command). Note: not the flash address, but the load address in the
range 2000.0000-2400.0000; it usually is 32k in the ram, but whatever
it is, that is a safe address.  0 and 0xc000.0000 are definitely not good.

> If I find the right address and use it on the -Ttext link time and
> on the tftp load and go command, my original program should work?

Yes.

Hope this helps
/alessandro