[U-Boot-Users] help in understand the address of standalone applications, ARM MCU

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun May 11 22:36:11 CEST 2008

In message <200805112051.43401.casainho at gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Is this board supported in the public U-Boot git tree?
>
> No I think, It come with sources on CDROM, however this board looks like

Well, probably you should direct your questions to Olimex technical
support, then.

> Hmmm... I am a novice :-) - my first time with 32 bits and U-Boot :-) - I
> tought that in some way memory map on U-Boot would be the same for every
> boards, dependant only on the MCU.

No. The memory map is something that is board specific. Actyally you
define it when you port U-Boot to a specific board.

> So them I assume the information on manual are what I am looking for. Is there
> any way to know that looking at sources of U-Boot?

Sure. Most of these definitions are in the board config file,
include/configs/<board>.h

> > > In the manual of the dev. board I have a memory map that says the 64MB
> > > RAM starts at 0x20000000 and ends on 0x23FFFFFF - If I do "tftp
> > > 0x20000000
> > Probably because you are overwriting the exception vectors?
>
> Hmm... So I must know detailed memory map, and that depends on U-Boot usage,

Not on usage, but on the configuration chosen by whoever ported U-Boot
to that board.

Try using some offset - say 256 kB or so; that should be sufficient in
any case - i. e. try 0x20040000 as download address.

> Can you guide me? -- If I find the right address and use it on the -Ttext link
> time and on the tftp load and go command, my original program should work? is
> just that "simple" to have a externall application?

I really think you should ask the vendor who provides the code.  Only
when they get a sufficient load of support calls they will learn that
it's better to push their changes back upstream.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The flow chart is a most thoroughly oversold piece of  program  docu-
mentation.              -- Frederick Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"