[U-Boot-Users] How to specify the size of bin?

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Fri May 16 06:43:48 CEST 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008, 甜瓜 wrote:
>      I know it is a newbie question. Any hint from you are welcome.
> In default, u-boot 1.1.5, "make walut_config && make all" will
> generate a 256KB bin.
> The last 4 bytes of the bin is a jump instruction to the entry point
> of u-boot.Is that right?

Yes, this is correct.

> But my ppc405GP walnut board has 512KB flash for holding u-boot.

All Walnut boards have 512k of NOR FLASH. Do you really have an original
IBM/AMCC Walnut or a different custom 405GP board?

> I wonder
> how to build a 512KB bin?

Generally this is possible. You need to change CONFIG_MONITOR_LEN &
CFG_MONITOR_BASE in include/configs/walnut.h. And TEXT_BASE in
board/amcc/walnut/config.mk.

> Is there any OPTION/SETTING targeting this
> problem? Anything else
> I should take care?

But please don't forget that the environment is also stored in the NOR FLASH.
And by changing the U-Boot size to 512k you leave no space for the
environment.

So why exactly do you want to change the U-Boot image size?

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de