[U-Boot-Users] How to specify the size of bin?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 16 07:48:18 CEST 2008

In message <cdb837ea0805152231w72340d28r4ee31ee5d4d51654 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> 1. Both default config of u-boot and a DHT-Walut-patched config
> generate 256KB bin,
> but the flash on board is 512KB. So I think I should get a 512KB bin
> for flash writing.

Why?

Do you think on devices with 128 MB flash memory  we  should  have  a
128MB U-Boot image?

Do you see any problem with having a U-Boot image that is smaller than
your flash device?

> 2. The contents in the flash on my board is totally corrupted by
> accident. It means
> the important last-4-bytes should be rewritten to a proper state.

Agreed.

> 3. Currenly, I have to use special hardware to write bin into flash.
> Therefore 256KB bin
> will only overwrite the first half. The last-4-bytes in the end of
> flash is still the old value.

That's your problem, tehn. Most people use a noremal JTAG debugger
which can prgram the image to any address in the flash.

You got to add 256k of ramdom data in front of the 256 k image,  then
[memory filled with 0xFF recommended].

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
                                                   - Arthur C. Clarke