[U-Boot-Users] MPC8360E - 10BaseT Ethernet - NA??

Russell McGuire rmcguire at videopresence.com
Fri May 16 11:22:05 CEST 2008

All,

This is not specific to U-boot, but can definitely be addressed within
U-boot drivers network drivers, in the Freescale 83xx crowd. If anyone has
suggestions as to a better list to post this in, let me know.

I have a working driver for 100BaseT with a National DP83763 GigE Phyter V
chipset, for specifics <Kim and crowd> it uses the RGMII interface.

The Ethernet MII interface works quiet well, as any speed I connect the
Ethernet chipset to will detect correctly, 10/100/1000. However, due to
errata we know that GigE has issues with Rev 2.0 of the MPC83xx. However, I
didn't expect that 10BaseT would have problems. This also has been proved in
Linux 2.6.23, but U-boot / BIOS is more critical for me to fix first.

Recently I got a hold of an older Netgear 10BaseT router for testing. And
while U-boot will correctly detected that the National part is connected at
10BaseT Half Duplex, it will NOT transmit. In fact we get a 'tx error' while
trying to simply ping a device.

Details:
* 100BaseT works great on the same software and same board / hardware.
* The National Chipset <DP83865> reports a TX FIFO error.
* I have tried several manual edits of the driver to make sure RGMII is
selected, alternatively is MII selected, FULL autoNeg is selected within the
National part.
* The chipset correctly auto-negotiates the right speed, I have verified
this by manually reading with MII commands from the National Part.
'mii read 1 0x00-0x11'
* I have wired a GMII interface between the MPC8360E and the National Part,
the GMII of course is backwards compatible between RGMII and GMII so both
bases should be covered?? Correct??

Are there any known bugs with 10BaseT HD???? Or anything I am obviously
doing wrong? Inevitable I have left out some obvious detail...

-Russ