[U-Boot-Users] [MIPS] CPU-dependent compiler/assembler options for optimization

Shinya Kuribayashi skuribay at ruby.dti.ne.jp
Sun May 25 17:40:15 CEST 2008

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <48381C45.2020801 at ruby.dti.ne.jp> you wrote:
>> We take the same options as Linux for now. This means that an ancient
>> -mcpu support will be lost. Users need gcc 3.0.X or later.
>
> Why is this change necessary?

Not necessary.

> There are still people out there  who  use  ancient  toolchains  like
> gcc-2.95. Do we really have to break compatibility here?

This patch adds,
- support more CPU variants other than MIPS 4K
- without changing the code.

In other words, every U-Boot/MIPS user other than MIPS 4K must change
cpu/mips/config.mk as he wants.

I thought this patch is more beneficial for MIPS users even if breaking
old gcc 2.96 support. That's all.

I don't want to argue with you about this issue. If you disagree, I'll
drop this from my queue. I don't mind, I can live without this change.

  Shinya