[U-Boot-Users] [MIPS] CPU-dependent compiler/assembler options for optimization

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun May 25 22:22:13 CEST 2008

Dear Shinya,

in message <4839885F.6070801 at ruby.dti.ne.jp> you wrote:

> > There are still people out there  who  use  ancient  toolchains  like
> > gcc-2.95. Do we really have to break compatibility here?
>
> This patch adds,
> - support more CPU variants other than MIPS 4K
> - without changing the code.
>
> In other words, every U-Boot/MIPS user other than MIPS 4K must change
> cpu/mips/config.mk as he wants.
>
> I thought this patch is more beneficial for MIPS users even if breaking
> old gcc 2.96 support. That's all.

Maybe you can implement  this  in  a  way  that  still  supports  old
environments at least at the same level as the current code does?

> I don't want to argue with you about this issue. If you disagree, I'll
> drop this from my queue. I don't mind, I can live without this change.

Please don't misunderstand me - I don't want to stop you or to put
obstacles in your way. I just want to make sure we keep the bigger
picture in mind.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Even if you can deceive people about  a  product  through  misleading
statements, sooner or later the product will speak for itself.
- Hajime Karatsu