[U-Boot-Users] boot pc with uboot

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Wed May 28 20:55:05 CEST 2008

Soodeh Bakhshandeh wrote:
> Dear sir
> I have a problem. I want to boot my pc with uboot. Which work I shold
> do?what is my roadmap?
> thanks

You need to get the data sheets of all the chips on your board,
including any north bridges, south bridges, video chips (assuming you
want to support video), memory (flash and SDRAM), and whatever other
software programmable parts that are on your board.  You need this
information in order to properly initialize the hardware.

The traditional BIOS does this initialization.  Since you desire to
replace the BIOS with u-boot, you will have to do the initialization
yourself.

The big problem is that full hardware documentation is hard to get.
Depending on your board and the chips used on it, you might be able to
get the documentation, but historically it is a show stopper problem.
This may be changing with hardware becoming more open for linux drivers,
or maybe you will get lucky...

Once you have the documentation, you will need to figure out exactly how
your hardware needs to be initialized (registers, values, sequences).

Good luck,
gvb