[U-Boot-Users] u-boot and Linux kernel forward compatibility is unsure?

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Thu May 29 00:14:04 CEST 2008

Hello all,

triggered by the e-mail below (which solved my issue, thanks Kim) I
have the following question:

For how long can I expect current u-boot (say 1.3.4) to be forward
compatible with newer Linux kernels?

It seems the u-boot from only half a year old cannot boot a current
Linux kernel (!).

I typically work on products where the initial boot loader is adapted
to provide fail-safe upgrades and itself is never upgraded to prevent
the chance of non-flashable (bricked) products in the very small
chance something goes wrong during the boot loader update.

How do people deal with using u-boot in a fail-safe environment where
the chance of brickage must be zero and the (initial) bootloader
itself cannot be updated?
Should I plan for a second stage loader?

Also, is there any plan to add fail-safe features to u-boot?

Regards,

Leon.

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Kim Phillips
<kim.phillips at freescale.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 21:33:33 +0200
> "Leon Woestenberg" <leon.woestenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have tried to run the vanilla upstream 2.6.25.4 kernel on my
>> U-Boot 1.3.0-rc2 (Nov 19 2007 - 16:37:36) MPC83XX
>>
>> Is this u-boot too old, i.e. might there be a compatibility issue
> yes
> start by updating u-boot

Regards,
--