[U-Boot-Users] boot pc with uboot

Markus Brunner super.firetwister at googlemail.com
Thu May 29 23:14:21 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 28 May 2008, Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> Soodeh Bakhshandeh wrote:
> > Dear sir
> > I have a problem. I want to boot my pc with uboot. Which work I shold
> > do?what is my roadmap?

First you should be sure if that's exactly what you want.

If you just want to play with u-boot on x86, porting it to bochs (or another
virtual pc) should be easier and have more benefits than your pc.
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

If you want free software to boot your PC, you should have a look at coreboot
(linuxbios) as well. It can also boot other PC related (BIOS dependent)
operating systems, like freedos, which you probably wont be able to boot with
u-boot. There is a port for bochs, so you can already play with it.
http://www.coreboot.org/

> The big problem is that full hardware documentation is hard to get.
> Depending on your board and the chips used on it, you might be able to
> get the documentation, but historically it is a show stopper problem.
> This may be changing with hardware becoming more open for linux drivers,
> or maybe you will get lucky...

Getting a board which is already supported by Linuxbios should be the best
starting point to port u-boot on it.

Good Luck

Markus