[U-Boot-Users] u-boot v2

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Fri May 30 12:50:28 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 03:41:58PM +0200, Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> I'm just wondering what the status and plans are with the V2 branch.
>
> Is the plan that at some future date everyone just stops works on the
> main branch and switch over to V2 or is the features of V2 going to be
> ported over one by one.

v2 is currently a technology study, lead by Pengutronix developers
(mainly Sascha Hauer), which shows where *we* do currently see weak
points in the U-Boot design and how things could look in the future.

I doubt that there will some point in time where everyone will just
switch over; what will happen depends very much on how much people look
at the code, see the shiny beauty of these ideas and start contributing
:-)

People have contributed in the past, they still do, we do active
development on it for real life customer projects, because it solves
real problems. So it will evolve over the time. Anything else is a
matter of community activity.

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9