[U-Boot-Users] u-boot v2

Menon, Nishanth x0nishan at ti.com
Fri May 30 15:04:05 CEST 2008

Some personal experiences might be in context.
a) If you look at u-boot v2 with the expectation that architecture is same as U-Boot v1, you'd be sadly proven wrong. It is more aligned with linux kernel architecture than U-Boot v1.
b) If you expect all features you see in U-Boot v1 to be present in U-Boot v2, again you'd be proven wrong. In my experience, most peripherals and features I need, I am having to port it/make it work.. but then folks who love to hack around from scratch would love it..
c) Is there a huge user base like U-Boot v1 for U-Boot v2? Not from what I see in the list and in irc. U-Boot v2 is what we'd call "early adopter" phase.. mebbe a little before that I guess. Very few brave folks have stepped in ;)..
d) I find U-Boot v2 code architecture to be much cleaner, easily modifiable+ maintainable in comparison with U-Boot v1. But then, that is a personal preference (no offence to any folks ;)).
e) Are all features stable? I do not think so.. As it is still a nascent concept. But I think we can fix all that is broken out there. Lot of stuff can be done in sandbox (PC app emulation of u-boot v2), so there are opportunities.

In short, I see huge potential in U-Boot v2, only it will take some effort in getting it working in mainstream.

Regards,
Nishanth Menon