[U-Boot] [patch 1/1] Remove linking to libgcc while compiling U-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Nov 2 23:34:16 CET 2008

Dear Remy,

In message <3efb10970811021323w71c480fdq507814c01b834441 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> >> What I now believe that should be done is to investigate (compile
> >> time) what type of ABI is supported by the libgcc provided by the
> >> compiler, and adjust the compile settings to that ABI.
> >
> > If such a thing needs to be done, it is a compiler-issue, and we do
> > not have to know or care about that.
>
> Okay, now I really lost you, first you have a very strong opinion that
> libgcc _must_ be used. I follow you (I admit I was wrong in the
> beginning), so I start investigating for a solution to actually start
> using libgcc on ARM, and now you tell me you do not want that libgcc
> is actually being used on ARM... (Besides, if you are consequent about
> the 'not caring' part, you should also not approve the do_div()

I did not say that.

I said if any compiler options must  be  adapted  to  match  the  ABI
implemented by the tool chain, then this is an issue that is internal
to  this  tool chain, and nothing we should bother about. If the tool
chain  wants  to  produce  FOO-comptible  code  it  must  make   sure
(internally)  to  set  all  required options and provide all required
library routines for the FOO ABI - whatever that might be.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Never worry about theory as long as  the  machinery  does  what  it's
supposed to do.                                      - R. A. Heinlein