[U-Boot] Building u-boot for the AT91RM9200-EK circa 2008

Pink Boy dasfoo at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 22:40:50 CET 2008

Wolfgang Denk sez,

> The thing is: we will not accept any such (new) code for
> mainline. And switching to using the CFI driver is trivial.

Okay so what I've learned.

1)You can build the AT91RM9200DK version of u-boot with u-boot-1.3.4
and it works.  At least I got a prompt.  So one can use the
AT91RM9200DK as a starting point for the AT91RM9200EK.

2) At this point I think relying on any older patched version of
u-boot that supports the AT91RM9200EK is probably not workable and
not worth doing.

3) Anyone starting a project based on the AT91RM9200EK is making
big mistake because the AT91RM9200 chip has been abandoned by its
mother.

At least I have I have some sort of peg in the ground to
start with.  Right now I worry about trying to get the CFI to
work because as a noob I'm in the dark on a lot of things

1) How to port the CFI to the AT91RM9200DK.
2) Create a board support for the AT91RM9200EK based on that.
3) Generate patches that are acceptable.

Personally I think that Atmel is doing people a disservice by
not classifying the AT91RM9200 as not for new designs since
there is no current support for it.

Matthew Harper.
Tehama Wireless.