[U-Boot] Booting Linux from Memory Hangs

binaryboy binaryboy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 08:10:59 CET 2008

I've gone through the archives a bit but still can't figure out what I'm
doing wrong.

I have a ARM board that has 128MB of DDR memory from 0x00000000 -
0x07FFFFFF.
I don't yet have flash working so I'm trying to get everything working from
DDR memory.

I connect through JTAG and download a u-boot built to be running out of
memory.
I load the u-boot image to 0x01000000. Then I put my uncompressed uImage
[1.5MB]
at address 0x04000000 (or some sufficiently high address away from
everything
else). I set the pc to 0x01000000 and resume and uBoot loads fine. No
problems
at all. So then I go to load the linux kernel and run it and this is the
output I get:

boot > printenv bootargs
bootargs=console=ttyAM0,115200
boot > bootm 04000000
## Booting image at 04000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.23.17-Pegasus
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    1536048 Bytes =  1.5 MB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux..................

and that's it. It hangs there. Depending on where I put the uImage in memory
I can get the .'s to continue on for a long time before it finally stops.
But no
"OK, done" or anything. It just stops.

I've taken care to make sure things are far enough away in memory that they
shouldn't be overlapping with anything. It should just be copying the uImage
from 0x04000000 to 0x00008000 and then running it there, right? I have a
feeling it's something with the load address and entry point but those are
the
standard ones for ARM, I believe.

Just to recap:

128MB DDR Memory: 0x00000000 - 0x07FFFFFF
uBoot image: 0x01000000 ~ [162KB]
uImage: 0x04000000 ~ [1.5MB]
load address: 0x00008000

(I even have a initrd ramdisk built, but it doesn't seem to matter if I use
it or
not -- I get the same results either way.)

Thank you very much!