[U-Boot] Re : java virtual machine on embedded systems

Sebastien Jean sebastien.jean.uboot at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 09:29:35 CET 2008

Hi there,

Looks like testosterone jumping out out the box !
Don't be so cruel guys.
Even if this question has probably nothing to do on this list because it is
not related with uboot itsels, you should demonstrate some kind of respect
and nevertheless try to answer this question if you can.

"UBoot linux Java" is not a buzzword. Stacking such software parts are a
classic job when trying to set up a flexible runtime for embedded devices.
Don't be hardware-centric. Maybe you sense nostalgia about C64 or other 80's
devices where you had to fight against the machine (i am nostalgic too)

So, to answer this question :

if you want to set up a JVM on top of uboot+linux for an embedded device,
you can implement a JVM from scratch. It is possible but as hard as useless.
You'd better cross-compile
an open source JVM for your device, such as JamVM which is very popular (you
will have to make it work with GNU Classpath).

Have a nice day !
Baz