[U-Boot] U-Boot to load VxWorks

raul.moreno at telvent.com raul.moreno at telvent.com
Mon Nov 17 13:34:41 CET 2008

Hello people,

I am used to using U-boot in order to boot Linux, but now I also need to
boot VxWorks.

Till now I copied the Linux kernel in Flash and when I wanted to update it,
I had two options: doing it from U-Boot (tftp the image and using the cp
command) or from Linux (using the dd command or flashcp). The kernel is
always in the same flash location, a determined address. So I have to
reserve enough memory in case the updating is bigger.

With VxWorks, I works as follows: the bootloader mounts a filesystem in
flash where I can transfer through ftp the operating system, VxWorks. I
mean, I can see the operating system as a file. In Linux I don't have it,
but the operating system image is saved in flash from an address. I am not
sure if people who use VxWorks works like me or there are other options to
boot. The good with my option is that you can update the operating system
just changing the file with ftp.

The thing is I would like to use the same U-Boot to boot both systems:
Linux and VxWorks. So I should have to have a similar way to boot.  The
only difference will be the boot command: bootvx for VxWorks and bootm for
Linux.

Could you explain me what the common way to use U-Boot with VxWorks is?

I doubt a lot what is the best option:
- Tring  to mount a filesystem with U-Boot that VxWorks also understands.
- Making like with Linux. I mean, copying the VxWorks from an determined
address. Then the VxWorks won't be seen as a file.
- Others not thought yet....

Is there documentation about VxWorks with U-Boot?

I would thank you your help!

Best regards,

Raúl Moreno

***********Internet Email Confidentiality Footer*************
solely for the use of the organization or individual to whom they are
addressed.  It is expressly forbidden to retransmit or copy email and/or
this  attached files without our permission .  If you are not the
addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the
message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message
to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or
your employer does not consent to Internet email for messages of this
kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that
do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as
neither given nor endorsed by it.