[U-Boot] Building tools without building firmware

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Mon Nov 17 23:39:31 CET 2008

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2008 16:05:44 Matt Sealey wrote:
>> Mike Frysinger wrote:

>>> you can see the method we use in Gentoo here:
>>> http://sources.gentoo.org/dev-embedded/u-boot-tools/
>> Ouch.
>>
>>> but i'd agree that i wish it were easier to just build the helper
>>> utilities. and if they werent so tightly intertwined with the rest of the
>>> u-boot code ... atm you cant build mkimage on a non-Linux system due to
>>> the libfdt stuff.
>> Am I reading this right.. I'm using SUSE 11.0 here so I guess I do
>>
>> touch include/config.h include/config.mk
>> make HOSTSTRIP=echo BIN_FILES="mkimage"
>>
>> And that'd do it? I'll have to check it out later..
>
> should be ... seemed to work for me
>
> btw, we do HOSTSTRIP=echo in Gentoo only because we dont let packages strip
> things themselves ... it's not like u-boot will break things otherwise

It doesn't work; I get a lot of errors about asm/blah.h include files being
missing.

make MPC8610HPCN_config
make BIN_FILES="mkimage"

this works fine though. I also tried filling out ARCH=ppc into config.mk just
in case, but it's obvious some weird arch setup is being done to glue in the
right includes. So, I symlinked asm-ppc to asm, just like mkconfig does, and
this made it at least get to compile.

So the correct solution is;

touch include/config.h include/config.mk
ln -sf include/asm-ppc include/asm
make BIN_FILES="mkimage" tools

(this also builds bmp_logo for some reason.. I don't quite understand why?)

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations