[U-Boot] [U-boot] Export functions using Jumptable in Standalone application

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 19 00:41:47 CET 2008

Dear Nagesh,

in message <20220629.post at talk.nabble.com> you wrote:

> I think in that case if I link the initialization code with the u-boot
> image, then my standalone application will come under GPL conditions, right?

Yes, of course.

>           If I dont do any network operations in U-boot(dont link the code
> with u-boot image), just do the hardware initialization of the switch
> registers only, then will my standalone application have any sort of issues
> with respect to the GPL?

If you do not want to use the network  interface  then  there  is  no
reason to initialize the switch in U-Boot. Design rules say that only
such devices shall be initialized that are used by U-Boot itself, see
bullet 2 at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Boot/DesignPrinciples#2_Keep_it_Fast

I am not a lawyer, but my general feeling is that you  should  accept
the fact that U-Boot is under GPL.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"If that makes any sense to you, you have a big problem."
                                  -- C. Durance, Computer Science 234