[U-Boot] Problems booting without BDI

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 20 19:04:39 CET 2008

Hi Alemao,

Ben's comment is in addition to my comment:

>> The assignments for the 8349 are:
>>
>> CFG_RS[0:2] = LGPL[0, 1, 3]
>> CFG_CLKIN_DIV = LGPL[5]

These need to be setup to tell the processor to load
from local bus flash, and then ...

> To somewhat re-phrase what Dave mentioned, one common issue is that at
> boot time, the four least-significant local bus address bits are driven
> by different signals than the standard local bus address bits (sorry,
> don't have the documentation here so don't know the exact names).
> Without this you can't red the RCW words from NOR flash.  Compare your
> schematic to the one for the MPC8349EMDS to make sure you got this right.

During the boot sequence from local bus flash, the LA[27:31] lines
carry the boot addresses, and the lower-addresses cycle without
pulsing the LALE (local bus address latch enable) signal,
so if your schematic drives the flash address lines with
*latched* versions of LA[27:31] then you're also in trouble.

Hopefully thats not your problem though ...

Cheers,
Dave