[U-Boot] ppc405ep boot freeze with u-boot 1.3.4

Reto Stalder rstalder at gmx.ch
Sun Nov 23 14:39:07 CET 2008

Hi Stefan

> On Friday 21 November 2008, Reto Stalder wrote:
>> I have a custom ppc405ep board with 128MB SDRAM, very similar to the
>> AMCC Taihu board. U-Boot 1.1.4 works perfectly fine. But version 1.3.4
>> freezes after saying "Relocating now" in debug mode.
>
> This is an indication of an SDRAM initialization problem.

You were right...

> Even 1.3.4 is old. I suggest that you give the latest git version a try. And
> please use the code in cpu/ppc4xx/sdram.c to init the SDRAM controller. How

Actually that was exactly the problem: I had overloaded the function
"initdram(int board)" in my "board.c" to initialize the SDRAM stuff. The
solution was to trash my own code and let U-Boot use the routines
defined in cpu/ppc4xx/sdram.c. Now it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Reto