[U-Boot] Newbie problem, all commands become unknown if I call a function

Jon Povey Jon.Povey at racelogic.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 12:24:23 CET 2008

"Hi, I am having problems..."

I am trying to modify u-boot to call my custom function to decide
whether to
silence the console or allow it, by calculating the SHA-1 hash of an
environment variable (password-based dev console). If my function is
called,
it succeeds, but all commandline comands report Unknown command,
including
"nboot" and "boot" which are part of the bootcmd.

My function source is in the /boards/myboard directory and called at the
start of console_init_r() (I hacked a relative #include at the top of
console.c)

I guess I am not understanding something like jump tables or
memory/stack
limits, and corrupting something.

To put as many people off as possible, I am starting with sources from
Texas
Instruments for the Davinci DM355 (ARM core), which is apparently based
on
u-boot 1.2.0. On this platform u-boot is loaded into DRAM from NAND
flash
by a separate first-stage loader.

I know this is nothing like the current u-boot version and don't expect
anyone to spend much effort trying to support me, but I hoped someone
might
be able to say "ah yes, that sounds like you've simply xyz, you need to
abc
in your function" or point me at some relevant information.

Some example console output showing the failure:

---

this is MT29F16G08FAA device
UBL: detected valid U-Boot magic number
UBL: booting to U-Boot

U-Boot 1.2.0 (Nov 26 2008 - 10:25:47)

DRAM:  128 MB
NAND:  NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0xd3 (Micron NAND
1GiB 3,3V 8-bit)
Bad block table found at page 524224, version 0x01
Bad block table found at page 524160, version 0x01
nand_read_bbt: Bad block at 0x02420000
nand_read_bbt: Bad block at 0x02480000
nand_read_bbt: Bad block at 0x025c0000
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0xd3 (Micron NAND 1GiB 3,3V
8-bit)
Bad block table found at page 524224, version 0x01
Bad block table found at page 524160, version 0x01
nand_read_bbt: Bad block at 0x0aa80000
2048 MiB
Hashes matched - allow console
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
ARM Clock :- 216MHz
DDR Clock :- 171MHz
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Unknown command 'dhcp' - try 'help'
Unknown command 'setenv' - try 'help'
Unknown command 'tftp' - try 'help'
Unknown command 'bootm' - try 'help'
myboard #

--
Jon Povey, Design Engineer
jon.povey at racelogic.co.uk | +44(0)1280 825983

Racelogic is a limited company registered in England. Registered number 2743719 .
Registered Office Unit 10, Swan Business Centre, Osier Way, Buckingham, Bucks, MK18 1TB .
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by Racelogic Ltd for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email so that the sender's address records can be corrected. The views expressed by the sender of this communication do not necessarily represent those of Racelogic Ltd. Please note that Racelogic reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications passing through its network