[U-Boot] Need input: Use Virtual address in commands; add translation/physical

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Thu Nov 27 07:31:07 CET 2008

Hi Becky,

On Wednesday 26 November 2008, Becky Bruce wrote:
> We're going to be seeing more platforms with larger physical addresses
> (PA) than virtual addresses (VA) supported in u-boot, and this kind of
> ruins the current assumption inherent in much of u-boot that VA ==
> PA.  On ppc, we've begin implementing the ability to actually
> translate VAs to PAs and vice-versa.  But this brings up the question
> of, when I type an address on the command line, what exactly am I
> specifying?  Is that a virtual address, or a physical address?

Just a comment: We are using 36bit addresses on 440 since a few years now. And
it's only VA for the user right now and works quite well so far. The SoC
peripherals for example usually are located at > 4GB on those chips. If
possible we just truncate the upper 4 bits on the PA to get the VA. But this
doesn't work in all cases of course. So again, the user only types VA'es.

It would be great though to add this ".p" feature to access PA'es as well.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de