[U-Boot] NAND flash driver for Samsung K9F1G08

Roman Mashak romez777 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 03:04:02 CEST 2008

Hello

2008/10/1 Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de>:
> Not almost all boards to that. Only some 200 out of more than 500 do,
> i. e. less than 40%, and these are mostly old boards  that  have  not
> been  adapted  to  use  the  CFI driver yet (with very few exceptions
> where some specific issue prevents us from using the CFI driver).

As far as I understand not all manufacturers adhere to CFI standards,
so this is flash chip's problem rather then board itself.
CFI is for both NAND and NOR flash devices (even though CFI stands for
Common _Flash memory_ Interface)? So if a device CFI compliant, only
one driver 'cfi_flash.c' can be used to control it, and it's
guaranteed it will support whole set of operations on a chip?

> flash.c is the old, obsolete way to implement a NOR flash driver.
> flinfo is part of the NOR flash interface.
> cmd_flash.c is part of the NOR flash interface.
[skip]

So the settings as follows mainly refer to NOR:
CFG_MAX_FLASH_BANKS
CFG_NO_FLASH
CFG_MAX_FLASH_BANKS_DETECT
CFG_FLASH_BASE
CFG_FLASH_ERASE_TOUT
CFG_FLASH_WRITE_TOUT
CFG_FLASH_LOCK_TOUT
CFG_FLASH_UNLOCK_TOUT

while
CFG_MAX_NAND_DEVICE
CFG_NAND_SELECT_DEVICE

are NAND-related

> Part of your confisuion probably results from the fact that NAND flash
> is *not* memory, but a storage device instead.

Indeed. In U-Boot you've logically separated 'flash memory' from
'flash storage'. Then what about dataflash? It's obviously a 'flash
storage' device, but is supported in NOR memory interface in
cmd_flash.c ?

--
Roman Mashak