[U-Boot] [UBoot] Hows to boot Linux Kernel from USB

thaoth thaoth at cybersoft-vn.com
Thu Oct 2 03:38:19 CEST 2008

I think I made a mistake; I didn’t describe my problem clearly. So, now I fix
it.
My purpose is: find out a way to boot a Linux Kernel from USB (FAT16).

Here are the steps I‘ve made:

 1. Get some kernel images (zImage, uImage) which I built (kernel version
2.6.22.11).
 2. Go to the board (T-Engine/SH7727) which is ported U-boot and try some
commands:
     a. usb start
     b. fatload usb 0:1 0x00200000 uimage
     c. bootm 0x00200000

And I always get this error:
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

I didn’t set ‘bootargs’ and root file system because I think they will have
no effect
NOTE:
CFG_SDRAM_BASE = 0x8c000000
CFG_LOAD_ADDR = 0x8e000000
Some results, I checked:
>> [root at twiki boot]# file uImage
>> uImage: PPCBoot image

I also tried: mkimage -A sh -O linux -T kernel -C gzip -a 0x8e000000 -e
0x8e000000 -n Linux  -d linux.bin.gz uImage

best regards