[U-Boot] [U-Boot-Users] DNS support in U-Boot

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Mon Oct 6 14:16:55 CEST 2008

Ben Warren wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Pieter Voorthuijsen
> <pieter.voorthuijsen at prodrive.nl> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently made a simple DNS implementation in U-Boot. The attached
>> file is a patch to U-Boot 1.2.0.
>>
>> DNS can be enabled by setting CFG_CMD_DNS. After performing a
>> query, the serverip environment var is updated.
>>
>> Probably there are some cosmetic issues with the patch.
>> Unfortunatly I do not have the time to correct these. So if anybody
>> else likes DNS support in U-Boot and has the time, feel free to
>> patch it in the main tree.
>
> Thanks Pieter - this looks useful.
>
> Wolfgang,
> is the licensing of this code compatible with U-boot?  If so, I'll
> clean it up and include.
>
> regards,
> Ben

Disclaimer: IANAL

The "beer-ware license" looks to me like the MIT license after the
author consumed a few beers.
   <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php>
On the FSF site
  <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses>
the MIT license is listed as the "expat" license and is approved as
compatible with the GPL
  <http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt>

It actually looks quite similar to the "Fair" license[1]:
   <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/fair.php>

In my unprofessional opinion, I would say it is compatible.

Best regards,
gvb

[1] The "Fair" license is listed as a "redundant" license in
   <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/category>
It doesn't say what it is redundant with, I would assume the MIT license.

Quote from <http://www.opensource.org/proliferation-report>

Licenses that are redundant with more popular licenses

     Several licenses in this group are excellent licenses and have
their own followings. The committee struggled with this group, but
ultimately decided that if we were to attack the license proliferation
problem, we had to prune licenses. Thus, licenses that were perceived as
completely or partially redundant with existing licenses were placed in
this group.