[U-Boot] Special memory test Question

Martin Jarman mjarman at cabledoc.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 06:06:16 CEST 2008

I have an Atmel atngw100 development board and a standalone application that
crashes within 10 to 30 seconds of starting.  I have just discovered that
the special memory test described in 5.9.2.10 of DULG also crashes the board
after a similar amount of time.

With a fresh copy of the Atmel's release of the U-boot binary installed
(version 1.1.3-00248-gae9bc0c),
I press SPACE to abort autoboot, and then type:

loop .b 10400000

(10400000 is an address in SDRAM)
Nothing happens for about 20 Seconds, then there is an 'Unhandled exception'
and the processor reboots.

Assuming I don't have a hardware fault, does the above show that the
configuration provided by Atmel does not work properly (or am I missing
something)?

Note: U-boot will also crash  if I did the loop test on an address in the
ap7000's internal SRAM, but I assume the actual code for running the loop
test is in SDRAM.  So, if SDRAM is not being initialized correctly, this may
be the reason the loop test crashes.

Any comments, help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Martin Jarman