[U-Boot] [patch 1/2] fix USB initialisation procedure

Markus Klotzbücher mk at denx.de
Thu Oct 9 21:52:57 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 08:45:21PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> > > Quite honest, I think this is *way* to pedantic. I'd really prefer to
> > > let people who are contributing significantly do their work instead of
> > > bugging them with such rare coding style violations.
> >
> > ACK from me here. "Minor" coding style violations like these braces issue or
> > too long lines should not delay patches.
>
> NAK, and NAK again from me. Note that it's not only a single small
> violation, there is a whole list of it evenin this short code snippet:
> - incorrect brace style
> - unnecessary indentation
> - incorrect multi-line comment style
>
> It is much easier to fix such code when it's being added, than to fix
> it later (which may or may not happen). See all the examples that got
> commited that way - and that haven't been fixed since.

True, you're technically right, of course, and I don't question
enforcing coding style in general. I just think that being too
critical has the potential of putting people off, and IMHO this list
can be very critical. Sometimes it's better to get a patch with a
couple of coding style violations than keeping the bug it would have
fixed.

Best regards
Markus

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de")