[U-Boot] Hangs at relocation on 460EX Target

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Oct 21 17:54:21 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 21 October 2008, Ayman M. El-Khashab wrote:
> We've got our custom hardware in and are having trouble getting
> u-boot to start up.  We've modeled our board close to the canyonlands.
> The main differences are no sensors, DIMM at 0x51, and a 16Mb NOR
> flash instead of 64Mb.  We boot and get messages and we've determined
> it is stuck inside the relocation or immediately after it branches
> to the code in RAM.

I suggest that you enable DEBUG in lib_ppc/board.c (define DEBUG before the
#includes). This will show you a little more.

But you may be correct that U-Boot hangs/crashes upon relocation. This is most
likely a problem with the DDR2 configuration. You might have noticed the
latest autocalibration changes for the 4xx DDR2 controller. It's worth to
give these new methods a try.

> My first thought is that we need to make several changes to handle
> the 16Mb flash since there was some code to handle the movement of
> the 64Mb flash in early_init_r.  It seems for us that is not needed.
>
> Secondly, there might be some changes needed to the EBC Setup in
> the config file.  However I've compared those to the data sheet
> and not seeing anything obvious.  I have disabled early_init_r and
> made the following changes to the configuration
>
> #define CFG_FLASH_BASE          0xFF000000   * later mapped to this addr
> */
>
> #define CFG_FLASH_BASE_PHYS_H   0x0
> #define CFG_FLASH_BASE_PHYS_L   0xFF000000
> #define CFG_FLASH_BASE_PHYS     (((u64)CFG_FLASH_BASE_PHYS_H << 32) | \
>                                  (u64)CFG_FLASH_BASE_PHYS_L)
>
> #define CFG_FLASH_SIZE          (16 << 20)
>

> Any tips to what else I might be missing?  I don't recall having
> this much difficulty last time u-boot was ported to our boards.

On the 460EX/GT is especially hard to handle bigger boot FLASH sizes because
of it's restricted boot map size.

But this is most likely not your problem. I'm pretty sure that you are
experiencing SDRAM problem.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de