[U-Boot] booting the kernel

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Tue Oct 21 19:47:51 CEST 2008

Mathieu Dube wrote:
> Hi,
>     Im trying to boot the linux kernel with uboot and it just hangs so I
> tried the instructions in the Linux PostMortem FAQ entry.
>
> I'd like to know if I could be doing something obviously wrong here:
>
> the kernel I use is for freescale imx31_litekit. I've booted it using the
> logicpd loader so I know it works.
>
> I use the arch/arm/boot/Image with mkimage like this:
>
> mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 86000000 -e 86000000 -d Image
> image.bin
>
> are the load address and entry point ok? if not how can I determine which
> value they should have?

Sorry, I don't know.

> Starting kernel ...
>
> and hangs there, if I use my jtag I can see that the core is running ie: it
> doesnt crash. Btw I've also tried with the jtag attached so thats not the
> problem.

Do you have a console configured and enabled?

> __log_buf in my System.map is at c035c168
> and CONFIG_KERNEL_START is c0000000
>
> so am I right to do
>
> md 8635c168 ?
>
> there doesnt seem to be anything interesting around this address...

Try 0035c168 - I'm not a arm-man, but the linux kernel traditionally
relocates itself at location 00000000 and remaps itself to the virtual
address c0000000.  When you are looking with the debugger, you need to
drop the "c" to get the physical address.

> what else could I try to figure out why the kernel isnt booting?
>
> thanks a lot.
> -M

HTH,
gvb