[U-Boot] U-Boot 1.3.1 booting problem

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 01:52:57 CET 2008

pugazh mahalingam wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm porting u-boot-1.3.1. on a MPC8548PC processor and I'm using the start.S
> file of u-boot-1.1.4.
> But I encounter booting problems.. The processor cannot bootup .. its going
> to hang state ..
> I used start.S of u-boot-1.1.4 since it works fine for u-boot-1.1.4 ..
> please help in this regard ..
>
> thanks ..
>
> regards
> pugazh

Hi pugazh,

 From your description, it sounds like you took 1.3.1, discarded its
start.S, and simply tried to replace it with the start.S from 1.1.4.

If that is what you are attempting, it isn't surprising it doesn't work.

(Listen to Kumar's advice: you should go all the way to the latest code.)

If you are trying to pull your port forward from 1.1.4, you are going to
have to understand what the differences are between 1.1.4 and 1.3.1 (or
newer).  There just aren't any shortcuts.

Time to crank up your JTAG debugger and see where the code is stopping
and why.

You can (theoretically) use git-bisect to figure out where booting
breaks in the series of changesets from 1.1.4 to 1.3.1.  It isn't going
to be fast because you are talking years of changes (and I'm guessing
your board isn't in the standard u-boot tree, which may cause you grief
too).

We really cannot help you much, you basically have given us no useful
data: "It's broken and there are lots of changes."  We're good, but we
aren't *that* good.  :-(  Sorry.

Good luck,
gvb