[U-Boot] saveenv problems

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Oct 31 12:30:33 CET 2008

Dear Georg,

In message <490AE49C.80304 at team-ctech.de> you wrote:

> i have a strange problem with the saveenv command, or maybe with my
> config :)
>
> After booting a fresh compiled u-boot with the default environment i
> can save the env without any problems. U-boot unprotect, erase and
> write the flash. but after add a new env-variable, e.g. bootargs,
> saveenv will unprotect the flash, erase the flash but then u-boot will
> not write the flash because the "Flash not Erased" error.
>
> Is there a different in addressing the env during boot-time, or read
> and write ?

Timing...

You may see a problem similar to mine (patch just went into the CFI
repo).

What exactly is your flash  configuration?  Bus  width?  Which  flash
chips? How can the bus be read? I mean, for example if you use 2 x 16
bit  devices  in  parallel  to  provide  a  32  bit bus, can your CPU
actually perform an atomic 32 bit read from that bus? [Same for 16 or
64 instead of 32].

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Do not underestimate the value of print statements for debugging.
Don't have aesthetic convulsions when using them, either.