[U-Boot] [Announce][RFC] CFG_ macro renaming

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 2 02:34:55 CEST 2008

Dear Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD,

In message <20080901235624.GC316 at game.jcrosoft.org> you wrote:

> 	As announce during OLS conference, it's plain to

s/plain/planned/

> 	* Configuration _OPTIONS_:
> 	  These are selectable by the user and have names beginning with
> 	  "CONFIG_".
>
> 	* Configuration _SETTINGS_:
> 	  These depend on the hardware etc. and should not be meddled with if
> 	  you don't know what you're doing; they have names beginning with
> 	  "CFG_".
>
> 	to keep CFG_ meaning we will rename them in the following change
>
> 	1) Basic config
>
> 	For environment we will use CONFIG_ENV_ (will be done this merge windows)

i. e. s/CFG_ENV_/CONFIG_ENV_/g

> 	For configuration settings CONFIG_SYS_

For *other* configuration settings we will use CONFIG_SYS_, i. e.
s/CFG_/CONFIG_SYS_g.

> 	2) Extra config
>
> 	For memory settings CONFIG_MEM_ or CONFIG_SYS_MEM_
>
> 	For PCI settings CONFIG_PCI_ or CONFIG_SYS_PCI_
>
> 	For USB settings CONFIG_USE or CONFIG_SYS_PCI_
>
> 	For flash settings CONFIG_FLASH or CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_
>
> 	For nand settins CONFIG_NAND or CONFIG_SYS_NAND_
>
> 	For dtt settgins CONFIG_DTT or CONFIG_SYS_DTT
>
> 	etc...

Please do not do that, as it will interfere with  a  lot  of  already
existing definitions. Stick with CONFIG_SYS_ in general. There may be
some  cases  where  your suggestion makes sense, but these need to be
carefully hand-selected,  i.  e.  this  must  not  be  done  by  some
automatically running script.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
: ... and it's got weird formatting - Notepad, Write, Works  3  can't
: decipher it, and it's too big to go in DOS Edit. Help!
Install an operating system. :-)                  -- Tom Christiansen