[U-Boot] [REGRESSION] commit b502611b51... "Change env_get_char from a..." breaks imx31_phycore

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Sep 6 10:57:27 CEST 2008

Dear Guennadi Liakhovetski,

In message <Pine.LNX.4.64.0809061015510.3731 at axis700.grange> you wrote:

> Hence the question: shell we set GD_FLG_RELOC centrally really for all
> boards or are there boards out there that really must not have this flag
> set?

No matter how U-Boot starts up (whether it starts itself, for example
by running in ROM/NOR flash rightout of the processor's reset, or if
it gets loaded into RAM by some other mechanism), at a certain point
in the initalization sequence, U-Boot will run out of RAM.

For regular implementations of U-Boot  this  is  implemented  in  the
board_init_r()  function,  and  it  is one of the first actions to be
done in board_init_r() to add GD_FLG_RELOC to the global flags.

Any other implementation (including  that  for  ARM)  must  also  set
GD_FLG_RELOC  as soon as it reaches the code whis is run from RAM for
all  configurations;  my   understanding   is   that   this   is   in
start_armboot(), right after the global data has been initialized.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Faith: not *wanting* to know what is true."    - Friedrich Nietzsche