[U-Boot] Watchdog support.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Sep 14 12:28:54 CEST 2008

Dear "Luigi 'Comio' Mantellini",

In message <200809140859.33792.luigi.mantellini.ml at gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'm working  on a mips based SoC with an external watchdog. The watchdog
> should be touched every 5 seconds in order to avoid the system reboot.

That shgould be no problem. We have a couple of boards that have
watchdogs enabled, some with really strict requirements (like
triggering the watchdow every 80 milliseconds).

> I tried to define macros like CONFIG_HW_WATCHDOG / CONFIG_WATCHDOG, but I'm not
> happy for the result. For example, the serial port driver (ns16550 in my case)
> don't touch the watchdog during the status polling, as well as a lot of
> commands (copy in flash, tftp, ...).

I can't speak for MIPS in general, but the common infeastructure
should work just fine.

> I don't understand if u-boot supports or not watchdogs in a "structural"
> manner.

Yes, it does.

> Kindly, if you have experience on Watchdog under u-boot, tell my any comments
> or suggestion.... in my application the watchdog is mandatory (i cannot stop
> the _watchdog_).

It's a standard feature being used actively on several boards, some of
them in mass production.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
This restaurant was advertising breakfast  any  time.  So  I  ordered
french toast in the renaissance.            - Steven Wright, comedian