[U-Boot] Linux hangs after Starting kernel ...message

Batsayan Das batsayan.das at tcs.com
Wed Sep 17 07:16:30 CEST 2008

Hello,

We are using arm926ejs based custom board.
We are able to get u-boot prompt using BDI2000. We are also able to get
Linux prompt using BDI. The serial console is working fine for both the
cases.

Now we want to run Linux from u-boot prompt (using bootm ). We got the
u-boot prompt by running u-boot using BDI2K. Then we use kermit to
transfer uImage to suitable memory location and execute bootm command.

When we execute "bootm 0x5000000" command it gives the "Starting kernel
...". After that nothing is printed in the serial console. We have
verified "http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/LinuxPostMortemAnalysis" that
"__log_buf" gives the exact booting sequences what we used to get when
running vmlinux.bin from BDI.

****LOG  START******

TEST # loadb 0x5000000
## Ready for binary (kermit) download to 0x05000000 at 38400 bps...
## Total Size      = 0x0012db0f = 1235727 Bytes
## Start Addr      = 0x05000000
TEST # bootm 0x5000000
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 05000000 ...
   Image Name:   TEST Kernel Image
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    1235663 Bytes =  1.2 MB
   Load Address: 02000000
   Entry Point:  02000000
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

Starting kernel ...

*****LOG END*****

I use "console=ttyS0,38400n8" as boot option in Linux. The same console
option
gives the serial port data when we execute vmlinux.bin using BDI.

The brief memory map is like this
The SDRAM starts at 0x00000000 (total 256 MB)
u-boot load address is 0x00100000
uImage load address is 0x05000000
Kernel Load Address/Entry Point : 0x02000000 ( I use mkimage tool to
generate uImage from vmlinux, the command I use is mkimage -A arm -O linux
-T kernel -C gzip -a 0x2000000 -e 0x2000000 -n "TEST Kernel Image" -d
vmlinux.bin.gz  uImage")

Pls help me where should I investigate to get Linux serial data.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Batsayan Das
Tata Consultancy Services