[U-Boot] mpc83xx U-boot questions

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 26 18:56:45 CEST 2008

Hi Yuke,

> I am new to U-boot. I have a mpc8313erdb board that already has U-boot
> burned in flash. When the board reset, I get into U-boot (with U-boot
> prompt =>).  My questions is: my gcc compiler produce a .exe file, can I
> just tftp this file to an address and run it (go) ? Or I need to convert
> it to some format (use mkimage) to run it ?
>
> Does the load address and entry address matters ?  Does anyone happen to
> know what is the correct load address for this board ?  One more
> question, where do I get the mkimage for this board ?

New to U-Boot and embedded systems, eh?

If your gcc compiler is producing a .exe file, then
you sound like you are working on a Windows machine,
with say Cygwin. That particular version of gcc is
for the *Windows OS* and the *Intel architecture*.

The gcc compiler can be built for a specific processor
type and OS. The Denx ELDK has a prebuilt version of
gcc for the PowerPC on the MPC8313 that can be used
to build both U-boot, stand-alone, and Linux
applications. You would typically install the ELDK on
a Linux machine (eg. an Intel-based laptop/desktop).

You'll probably want to get yourself a copy of

"Building Embedded Linux Systems", K. Yagmour, O'Reilly.

and read it to learn some of the basics of embedded
programming, and cross-platform development.

If you want to run an executable from U-Boot, then you'll
want to read the 'stand-alone applications' section of
the DULG.

http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/WebHome

But if what you really want is a Linux application, then
U-Boot will be used to boot Linux, and then your application
will run under Linux.

If you let us know exactly what you want your program to do,
we can suggest the path of least-resistance for you.

Cheers,
Dave