[U-Boot] release timing wrt linux

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Apr 2 15:35:28 CEST 2009

On Thursday 02 April 2009 09:27:55 Kumar Gala wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2009, at 7:03 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, I'm aware of this, but at least it's not our fault. We've been
> >> releasing mostly on schedule, it was the Linux kernel releases that
> >> shifted and shifted...
> >>
> >> Shorten is IMHO not an option, but we can delay it.
> >>
> >> Please suggest where and when? Make this merge window longer  by  one
> >> week, and this testing phase longer by two weeks?
> >
> > that sounds reasonable to me ... maybe leave the exact release time
> > in May open so that if the kernel releases sooner, we can push out, or if
> > it releases later, we can push up.
>
> What's the concern w/overlap or conflict with the kernel release?

it's pretty common for people who work on u-boot to also work on the kernel.
trying to balance merge windows of two major projects simultaneously is
unnecessarily strenuous.

> I doubt whatever we pick will ever be insync w/the kernel.

the idea is to be out of sync ;).  no, things wont always line up perfectly,
but that doesnt mean we cant adjust when the kernel does change.
-mike