[U-Boot] dtb merge

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Wed Apr 8 18:10:44 CEST 2009

Hi Andre,

Andre Schwarz wrote:
> Any ideas on how to merge device tree binaries from slave devices ?
>
> Having a PowerPC based board with various extension boards on e.g. the
> local bus with each board having some kind of PROM device (I2C, SPI
> etc.) containing a dtb ... is it possible to merge this into the
> existing boards dtb into the local bus node ?

Yes.

> Is it already working - have I missed it ?

No - no.

> If not - is someone thinking/working on it ?

We have thought about it, nobody is working on it that I am aware of.

> Any suggestions on how to do it ?

See limited thoughts in
   <http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/UBootFdtInfo>

4. Proposed additional fdt commands

     * merge - merge two trees. Need a conflict resolution: source tree
#1 has priority?
           o David Gibson has talked about creating a "graft" function
for libfdt.

Link to David's "graft" function thoughts:
   <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc64.devel/35740>

> Regards,
>
> Andre

Best regards,