[U-Boot] Ethernet receive issue in PPC440

prathika prathika at deeopl.com
Wed Apr 15 06:20:02 CEST 2009

I am using PowerPC 440 EP.  The PHY I am using is DP83848. I have
enabled RMII mode. I am making sure that all the registers are
configured for this mode only, by reading back the registers.

First i tried enabling internal loopback in PowerPC by enabling the ILE
bit in EMAC0_MR1 register. There was no issue. Then I wanted to test
external loopback without RJ-45 cable. that is the data transmitted by
Power PC is loop backed by the PHY. So i disabled the ILE bit and
enabled FullDuplex FDE bit in EMAC0_MR1 register (As illustrated in the
PowerPC User Manual). I also enabled Internal Loopback in PHY.I had no
issues in this also. I was able to receive the looped back packets from
the PHY.

Also to make sure that PHY has no issue, there is a built in test
facility avaiilable in the PHY. I also enabled that bit and cleared for
the passing of the Built In Test of the PHY.

But i never tried doing loop back with the RJ-45 cable. But when i
cleared the loop back along the PHY path, should i also test looping
back with the cable??

Thanks for your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Prathika R