[U-Boot] [ANNOUNCE] Kconfig support

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Mon Apr 20 16:42:08 CEST 2009

On Monday 20 April 2009 10:04:14 Robert Schwebel wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:49:38AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > If you aim for feature completeness, use v1 and don't care about v2.
> > > v2 is for people who care about *design*.
> >
> > so v2 is good for thinking about things while v1 is good for people
> > who want to do real work. if that's the standpoint, then it looks
> > like v2 is destined to die and ideas should be fitted onto v1.
>
> Well, it is Open Source, so you are free to do whatever you want to do.
>
> U-Boot-v2 is used here to do real work in our projects. If it isn't what
> you need, it is perfectly fine if you ignore it.

my concern isnt really narrow to the Blackfin port.  i was using it as a
practical example.  we've talked about v2 in the past as the answer to many of
our problems and so we dont bother doing it in v1.  but that approach looks to
be wrong as v2 is of little practical importance.  instead we should be doing
what Jean-Christophe is doing: poaching good ideas until we get to the point
where v2 can simply die.
-mike