[U-Boot] Uboot Remote gdb gives segmentation fault and hangs

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 24 19:56:15 CEST 2009

Dear alfred steele,

In message <528f13590904240907v16449286t30b8c1b238da9b57 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I am trying to debug u-boot using arm-elf-gdb on the PDK board. I have been
> succesfully using this gdb to a great extent. However, when i try my
> vanilla u-boot image with debug, i get a "segfault".

Then your GDB is obviously broken.

> Could it  be something wrong with the uboot binary itslef. If so, any
> hints as to what
> could be wrong?

NHo. No matter what could be wrong in the debugged proragm - this must
never cause the debugger to crash. You may see all kinds of more or
less friendly error messages, but never a crash.

> I have been using theis arm-elf-gdb sucessfully with Redboot in the past.

If this GDB crahes, then it's obviously broken.

Did you try the GDB that comes with ELDK for comparison?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
And now remains  That we find out the cause of this effect, Or rather
say, the cause of this defect...           -- Hamlet, Act II, Scene 2