[U-Boot] U-Boot ARM merge strategy, was: there are non-DM6446 DaVinci chips

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 08:27:26 CEST 2009

Hi Dirk,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Dirk Behme <dirk.behme at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Dear Jean-Christophe,

> >> the Patch series and this has been apply in the u-boot-arm/next
> >
> > I see that branch now exists ... thanks!  :)
> > Could you clarify the current merge cycle for me, by the way?
> > I know u-boot has switched to 2009.{01,03,05,...} releases,
> > which is a big win from where I sit!, with "rc" tags.
> >
> > What I'm unclear on is what gets merged for 2009.05 versus
> > later.  Are these "next" branches for the '05 release (which
> > hasn't yet hit rc1)?  Or for '07 instead?
>
> Yes, I have the same questions. I already tried to ask similar, but
> didn't get an answer.
>
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2009-April/051111.html
>
> Maybe my wording was a little unclear?
>
> Dirk
>
> Btw.: Now that -next exists, I can't find patch linked above in it,
> though :(

My approach is that once the merge window closes, new patches that are not
bug fixes go into 'next', which is for the release after the current one (in
this case 07).  When the merge window opens again, next goes to master and
the fun starts again.  I can't say for sure if this is how all branches are
handled, though.

regards,
Ben