[U-Boot] U-Boot ARM merge strategy, was: there are non-DM6446 DaVinci chips

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 25 10:05:40 CEST 2009

On Saturday 25 April 2009, Ben Warren wrote:
> > Then I'm curious how that dm9000 EEPROM reading bugfix
> > landed in net/next ... or is the point that the merge
> > window for 2009.05 is still open, since RC1 hasn't yet
> > been tagged?
> >

> In this case a pretty good argument could be made that it's a bug fix
> and not a feature, so can go in 2009.05.

Right.  It was one of a handful of bugfixes I've sent;
I think only one minor one remains (adjusting columns
for "mtdpart" output).

> Obviously bugs that break
> builds get more attention than ones that have been in code for a while
> and nobody noticed.  I'll ask Wolfgang to pick it up directly.

Saw that; thanks.

> As
> you're noticing, how and when patches are picked up is open to many
> interpretations.

Yes.  The issue is needing to guess what's up ... so for
example, I seem to observe that "merge window closed" must
not be the same as "first RC is out", which isn't how the
Linux process works.  But that's the only example I've
seen for how the new u-boot cycles should work...

- Dave