[U-Boot] U-Boot Timer Qualification

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Apr 28 14:48:13 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 28 April 2009 06:08:06 Ladislav Michl wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 03:28:28PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > if you want your points to have any meaning/usage, then they have to be
> > on the mailing list.  irc is useless for people trying to search for
> > background information to a problem.
>
> I agree here, but I already gave up. And if "the real world timer
> verification" is now mandatory, I'll do it, as it will lead to the effect
> faster. The only thing I have to do is wait for a scope. I already run out
> of time I was supposed to spend with U-Boot, so everything I'm doing eats
> my spare time (sure, not an excuse ;-))

nothing has been mandated.  we're simply a bunch of devs throwing around
random ideas to try and make u-boot more resilient to free flowing changes
that git development enables.  a method to quickly validate user contributions
is great as we can then say "you have to verify your change against the XXX
test".

> To repeat it briefly. When dealing with 32bit underflow free running
> counter mathematical proof precission is sufficient as everyone can verify
> its correctness. Measurement in contrast needs either believe to device
> operator or independent verification and after that, custodian is supposed
> to decide whom to believe. In that case the most reliable way is to repeat
> measurement himself. So this method really doesn't improve situation a lot
> and does not take into account corner cases I described earlier.

i too would prefer a POST case that can be classified as a mathematically
sound proof.  did i miss something, or was such a case proposed ?

> > as it stands, your e-mail simply reads as "i agree with what
> > Jean-Christophe said".
>
> Or more likely "I agree with what Wolfgang said" ;-)

well i'm glad you clarified because i missed the point of your e-mail
-mike