[U-Boot] U-Boot Timer Qualification

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 28 15:41:07 CEST 2009

Dear Mike Frysinger,

In message <200904280848.14109.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> i too would prefer a POST case that can be classified as a mathematically
> sound proof.  did i miss something, or was such a case proposed ?

No.

And I think it's actually difficult  to  implement,  as  it's  highly
system-dependent.  Testing against the RTC was mentioned - there is a
plethora of different RTC being usedon different  boards,  some  more
and  some less suitable for such a test. Some board don't even have a
RTC (quite alot of them actually), and other systems have an internal
RTC that runs from the same clock as the main CPU so you can  measure
anything  but  you  cannot  measure wallclock times because you don't
have an independent reference clock.

Yes, being able to test sucha thing is nice, but I want to make clear
that this is not a mandatory prerequisite to get any code accepted.

> > > as it stands, your e-mail simply reads as "i agree with what
> > > Jean-Christophe said".
> >
> > Or more likely "I agree with what Wolfgang said" ;-)
>
> well i'm glad you clarified because i missed the point of your e-mail

I missed it, too. What exactly did I say? :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I'm not a god, I was misquoted."                 - Lister, Red Dwarf