[U-Boot] [RFC] MAKEALL Policy

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Wed Apr 29 23:41:38 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 29 April 2009 17:21:36 Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
> 	Actually all the new board or nearly is add to the MAKEALL
>
> 	As point by Kumar it's start to be a huge database
>
> 	I think we need a better policy to add boards in it
>
> 	As it will hard at the end to maintain

there will need to be a complete database somewhere with Kconfig support, so
the MAKEALL issue is fluff once that's done as it can simply use scripts to
extract all boards

> 	Personnaly, I'll have in mind to add ref boards or boards that
> 	have special drivers or implentation. And stop to duplicate board
> 	with the same or near design

good in theory, not so much in practice.  perhaps if you wanted multiple
lists: one with "pretty good" coverage of options to test changes quickly and
one with all coverage like we have today.  for the Blackfin port, i take it
even further: i build every Blackfin board for every related variant and every
available boot mode.  this has caught bugs in the past that none of the in-
tree boards were configured for catching.  if there was a way to hook the
MAKEALL process in an arch-specific method, that'd sure be nice because then i
can stop maintaining this change outside of mainline.
-mike