[U-Boot] how big is the NOR flash on 85xx boards?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 10 23:25:20 CEST 2009

Dear Kumar Gala,

In message <07DA25C3-1F4F-431E-BF8A-61C11CD4113B at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:

> I'm asking this just see if we bump up in size if it should be to 768k
> or 1M.  While this doesn't directly impact the TQM or XES boards I
> just wanted to get a sense of how much flash people are putting on
> boards today to see if 1M is a burden or in the noise w/regards to the
> size of things.

So far we have many systems that are well below 256 kB.  512  kB  al-
ready seems to a a LOT for just a boot loader. Yes, features like UBI
and  graphics support cost a price, but these are still non-standard,
right?

> My desire is if we support a different size on 8536DS that its a size
> other boards would be ok with if they needed to grow.

I think this is only a Freescale internal issue.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.
                              - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_